Sunday, July 22, 2012

Stopping, reflecting and taking in the sights


Sitting in the Aloha Theater alley.....waiting for my next entrance. It's Sunday afternoon and we are right dab in the middle of “A Chorus Line!” I actually got some good laughs from the audience in the opening number. My character isn't necessarily funny, but he does have a little quirkiness to him. Yes. I play a male character named Frank. Most people know him as “boy in the headband” but that's fine by me.....after all, that is how the director refers to him as when yelling! And, for the finale, I am myself.....back to being a girly girl.

Blessed with a nice, cold, breeze and it is overcast. That makes the dressing rooms much cooler too since this is an old, metal corrugated wall sidings and roof, building with definite character and unique charm. The green pastures behind the building is home to very talkative cows and some wild cats (some of which like to sneak into the theater!). It is nice to just stop and share a smiling glance with the bovines. Most of them are chocolate milk colored. There are a few black ones, including this adorable little black calf. All with their big, soft, eyes and thick eyelashes. The calf is right up to the fence right now. It's great seeing happy cows. The elephant grass filling their pasture is almost as tall as they are.

And the view......what can I say about the view. To me, it seems that it doesn't matter where you are on the island. You will always be surrounded by beauty. The ocean is out in the distance, which we can't really see right now due to the vog, but I don't mind. The birds are flying and singing songs. Although I can hear them, I know there are some doves around. Maybe they are hiding in the big mango tree just a few feet away. Can you imagine it? This mango tree is probably three stories high! Picture that size tree full of ripe, yellow and orange colored, sweet smelling mangoes. I'm drooling just thinking of it. Then, looking at the banana trees, I can see that there are going to be quite a few bananas ripening at the same time. Pretty soon they will be as yellow as the hibiscus flowers right by me. There are also some grapefruit colored hibiscus and pink ones as well. I just love all the different speckles of colors all around and they all tie right in with the plumeria that has pink, yellow, and white all on each of it's blossoms. A little white butterfly passes by. It seems that the breeze is too strong to let it fly straight as it is fighting against the wind. Nobody told that butterfly it can't fly against the wind so it just keeps on going. Yes, I need to let myself be like that butterfly and just do.

Mmmmm.....It's nice just stopping, reflecting and taking in the sights, sounds and scents. Now, it's your turn.

No comments:

Post a Comment